Tuesday 25 November 2014

Hi Genki Review


Hi Genki is a hidden gem of New Westminster near High Gate Mall. It is actually hidden inside the old folks home called Nikkei Home. It is within a peculiar neighbourhood with rich Japanese cultural influence. There also is Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre right next door and a cute little park area in front of it along the curvy driveway. 




Hi Genki probably is Ryan's favorite place to dine out. During summer, he'd ask me to meet in the small park in front of Nikkei Museum and would always bring 2 Spicy Chicken Karaage Donburi's. Half jokingly, I used to ask if this place only sells Karaage Dons. Turns out, they have other menus too (uhh of course) but the Spicy Chicken Karaage Donburi (C$9.50) is their THE best seller menu. 


From the top: the highly praised Spicy Chicken Karaage Donburi. It is no exaggeration that this menu supports this little food joint (and you will understand I don't call Hi Genki a restaurant - with all due respect). While dining in, I probably saw 15 of this Spicy Chicken Karaage Dons being served to their patrons. 

Second photo: my choice of Oyako Don (C$7.50). This actually was not bad at all but you can't really go wrong with this "chicken & egg combo sauced with tempura sauce" anywhere, unless their chicken meat is so bad. 

Last: Genki Bento ($9.50) - quite a decent selection filling up their bento box! I am a little bit tired of the good ol' Chicken Teriyaki + California Roll + Tempura mix. Genki Bento had Chicken Teriyaki, no doubt - however it almost tastes smokey and more flavourful than your the regular Japanese Restos you find in every little strip malls (no offence to their food though!). Salmon Sashimi were pieced up rather generously. And their Potato Croquette! Yum!! 


Ryan will probably stick to his regular Karaage Donburi and I might go back to it next time. I happened to overhear another customer on a table behind me mentioning their Udon is a tad mediocre and he actually said "I could make it at home." So that might be my next review! 

Happy Eating! :-)


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this place, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's not that hidden afteral! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my mouth is full of saliva as I can devour fried chicken. This place has one of the best fried chicken dishes!

    ReplyDelete