Friday 14 November 2014

Easy Recipe: DIY Lemon Tea

My husband recently caught a cold and I am not a believer of cold medicine. Don't get me wrong, I am not a cruel wife! ;-p There are more than hundreds of different kinds of viruses that cause cold so it is impossible to have a medicine that can actually cure the sickness. Rather than curing, cold medicines simply help you feel less painful/irritated while being Ill. That is why I think it is more important to eat well and drink lots in order to speed up recovery and there is nothing better than a cup of warm honey lemon tea.







What you need:
-lemons
-sugar(same amount as lemon)


First, lemons have to be washed thoroughly. Organic lemons are preferred since the skin of lemon will be used too. However, if that is not the case, it is important to remove all the chemicals(fruit wax and perservatives) before use. 
I soaked my lemons in water with 2TBS of baking soda and 2TBS of vineger for three hours then washed it with coarse sea salt. I also poured boiling water over the lemons and washed it with cold water imediatley.


Once the lemons are cleaned, cut the lemons into approx 0.5cm(0.2in) slices.


Be sure to remove both ends and seeds because these will make your lemon marmalade bitter.

In a large bowl, mix lemon slices with sugar. Don't be afraid and use equal amount of sugar because if you don't the marmalade will end up tasting bitter.

Then in a jar that has been sterilized, pile up lemon slices and leave it on your kitchen counter for two, three days for it to ripen.



I made hot lemon tea for my husband hoping him to feel better. You may also pour sprite/sparkling water/soda for refreshing drinks. It'll be a perfect drink to impress your guests! 


I know that I have washed it thoroughly so I can be relieved not worrying about any chemicals on the lemon.
I am also thinking of using them in my cookie recipe too!

Hope you try this out and enjoy the refreshing sweetness of the lemon too! 

xoxo 
Vivian

No comments:

Post a Comment