Tuesday 18 November 2014

An Evening with Joan Baez

Joan Baez
Born in 1941, Joan Baez is an activist, folksinger, songwriter, and an iconic figure of the anti-war and civil rights movements. There are so many names to call Joan Baez.

acerecords.co.uk


My parents used to play old pop songs at our home and in the car during road trips. We'd sing along together to the beautiful lyrics and it made our moments much more special.

Elton John, The Beatles, The Carpenters, Susan Jacks, John Denver, Nana Mouskouri, and Joan Baez..Since I was too young to understand what the lyrics meant, and my dad would tell me the precious stories behind their music. For those reasons, I love oldies over so-called Hot pop songs that are on the radio 24/7. The sound of the acoustic guitar, the voice of the singer which hasn't been filtered through mechanical instruments, and the poem/storybook-like lyrics feel like they unravel in my head taking me to the place & very moment when the songs' been written.

Joan Baez is one of those musician that warms up my heart - especially her strong and clear voice is something that I can never forget.



When I heard she is visiting Vancouver for a concert, I was already buying the tickets in a heartbeat. I am so grateful to witness her live singing standing strongly at the age of 73. My husband and I arrived at the Vogue Theatre 1hour prior to doors opening. But the line up was so long already! I had presumed we would be a rare addition to her fans but did not think the kind gentleman would be asking if I knew what I'm lined up for! LOL  


The cold wind didn't stop the fans from being excited to meet her!


Vogue Theatre on Granville street.


We may be the only ones in 20-30's.

Finally when she came up the stage, people applaused cheerfully at once. Her silver hair was the only difference from what I remember from videos I've watched - still charismatic and charming, just like what I've imagined. I was also impressed about her genius band. The two band members play drum, banjo, accordian, piano, and violin. Also a bit of chorus! They helped me melt into Joan Baez's voice.


Her songs are like a storybook. As I close my eyes and listen to her music, I can picture the scenes in my head and sometimes it makes me tear up. The fact that a lot of her songs are written based on war and peace makes me look back on myself. I often feel like some of the songs produced nowadays are concentrated too much on sex/lust, extravagant life, and money. It makes me frown a little. If you are like me and are looking for a song that will heal you, or reflect on yourself, I would recommend Joan Baez's music.

I will leave a list of my favorite songs of hers. 

Diamonds & Rust
Donna Donna
Forever Young
House of Rising Sun
No Woman, No Cry
Imagine
Green, Green Grass of Home
Where Have All the Flowers Gone


telegraph.co.uk

Wishing to see her thriving for a long long time, 

xoxo 
Vivian



Forever Young
Joan Baez

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.


May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you stay forever young

No comments:

Post a Comment