Wednesday 31 December 2014

Lancome Eau Fraiche Douceur

Out of all the oil cleansers I've used including Lancome, Shu Uemura, Bobby Brown - I loved Lancome the most. It had the thickest oil and I enjoyed giving myself a massage every evening. As the oil moist my skin thoroughly, the dead skin would peel away along with the makeup residues of the day. A lot of my girlfriends vote for Shu Uemura and would purchase 2-3 bottles every time we go through duty frees, but I did not find it thick enough.

For some incomprehensible reason, Lancome's Oil Cleanser (Huile Douceur) has been out of production and I could not purchase it for some time everywhere! Seriously devastating...! I've heard amazing things about Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil but I decided to stay loyal to Lancome and try their fresh water cleanser.



Paula's Choice had warned me about the water cleanser and the exact words were: "why bother?"

A fancy French name with scientific claims and a spa personality cannot change the fact that this toner is a great big “why bother?” of a product. For your money, you’re getting mostly water, slip agents, fragrance, and preservatives. Any alcohol- and menthol-free toner from the drugstore would beat this product by a long shot, and save you a good deal of money to boot.
(www.paulaschoice.com)



Read more after the jump!! :-)

With the oil cleanser, my routine was (1) oil cleanser/massage for 1-2 minutes (2) foam cleanser (3) toner (4) facial cream - although many experts would argue there's no need for a second cleanser, I did not like the greasy feeling on my face. Now, Lancome's water cleanser states this is a no rinse cleanser and it is to be used as a final step/or before cream skipping all of step (1) to (3).







Initially, when I came up with this review, I said I like it. I found it easy and convenient, and it seemed to does the trick in removing the very last residue on my face. However upon my last trial, I was only wearing very light/minimal work makeup. I understand that it's not likely for myself (or including most people?) to rely on the water cleanser only, after a heavy holiday makeup - however that's what their ads claim that you could be. I had several tests using various makeup products.





(1) Chanel Lipstick: I applied 2-3 times on my hand. Gone completely!





(2) Sephora Tattoo Me!: I bought this product from Paris and I don't recall seeing this at Sephoras in North America (correct me if I'm wrong!). It's not the most common makeup product but I occasionally would wear them...and even after several hard rubs (so hard that my skin had red spots and felt little bit rashy too), still faintly there.





(3) Maybelline Waterproof Eye Liner: Gone! The only trouble I had with removing eyeliners from my face was that since I draw my liner to fill up the spots between the lashes, it was hard for me to get so close to eyes (even though Lancome states the product is safe around eyes).




(4) Laura Mercier Eye Shadow: Oh, what a disappointment. I don't know if its very visible in the photos but in comparing my clean right hand vs. sparkled left hand, my left was still quite sparkly. It erased a lot of them, and to be fair, I had more strokes than what I'd normally wear - but the rubbing helped the sparkles travel to different parts of my hand and did not get erased completely.


I have also tried it straight on my made-up face. Unlike Lancome's claims, it actually does not work on waterproof products - maybe only to certain extent but not completely. I had Lancome's Hypnose on and it did not remove it completely. I ended up using Lancome's Eye Makeup Remover for complete finish. Frankly, I felt funny without washing my face with water - but is kind of exciting too!

Another downside of this product was that I need to use multiple cotton pads to completely remove my makeup due to the makeup and dirt loaded up on the pad after a few wipes.  I tried using a facial washcloth before using Lancome's water cleanser. I also realized that facial washcloth is NOT perfect and that Lancome's water cleanser was able to wipe off what was still left on my face.

I am a little bit disappointed with this product as a cleanser. Maybe my expectations were too high reading review on the web & Lancome website. I will continue using it but this is my plan: (1) oil cleanser... guess I'm buying Josie Maran! (2) form cleanser (3) lancome water cleanser (to remove what's left over + toner effect) (4) finally moisturizing cream. Toners are to be used right after washing your face to help tighten pores when it's at the cleanest state. I do appreciate the rapid cleansing and the ease of it. It would especially come in handy when travelling! I do like their refreshing fragrance as well. It is also a good value at C$39 and seems one bottle would last me a while... But then again, would this be the same water cleanser as what Sephora stores have for their customers to wipe up after trying on an item? Hmmmmm....

My verdict is that I don't hate it - still kind of like it. But I do not know if I'd go on purchasing another bottle... :-o

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! It really doesn't remove everything esp. my eye makeup stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you feel the same way. I found a lot of people on sephora reviews who absolutely loved it tho. From my stance, it's the price you pay to be lazy at night :-p x

      Delete