Saturday 17 January 2015

Vancity Foodie: Marutama Ramen

A few years back, I never knew that downtown Vancouver would be the place to go for Japanese ra-men craving. 
Now, it seems like Robson street has become the hub of ra-men ya's.

Marutama Ramen is just around the corner of Bidwell and Robson St. Because of its slightly hidden location it isn't as busy as the ones on Robson/Denman. I got to know this place on a day when I was very hungry and grumpy; Santouka(1690 Robson St.) had especially long lineup that particular day and I wasn't in the mood for 30 minute wait. 😡
As I started to head back to our car, there it was just off Robson Street, Marutama Ra-men, oh, and no lineup!
At first I was hesitant to step in thinking there might be a reason why there aren't as busy as Santouka but again, I was very hungry. Ever since then, I became a regular customer of Marutama's. 


All of their ra-men are chicken broth based which is very rich in taste. Most of the places I know serve tonkotsu(pork bone broth) based ramen so Marutama's is quite different.



Their sides and toppings menu. 


This is another characteristic of Marutama. They have deep-fried garlic on each table for the customers to add to their ramen for more flavour.  


I ordered Marutama Ra-men since I can't have onsen tamago(slow cooked egg) due to pregnancy. I used to order extra egg before so it was very hard for me to not give into temptation! 
The green is called Aosa a type of Japanese seaweed; it adds a unique flavour to the bowl. If you like Gim, which is Korean dried seaweed paper, I am sure you would enjoy it. 


Ryan's Marutama Tamago Ra-men.


This is why you definately want an onsen tamago in your ramen!! It adds so much more flavour and beauty to it! The soft boiled egg yolk also makes the soup milder.


Another tip, if you are like me who is trying to avoid too much salt in your diet, ask them for less salty soup. You can enjoy their ramen and still be cautious of your health. 

Join me to Vancouver's ramen craze!

xoxo 
Vivian

Marutama Ra-men
http://japanesenoodle.com
780 Bidwell Street, Vancouver




No comments:

Post a Comment