Sunday 4 January 2015

Mary Poppins

We've got to race back to our childhood hearts to diagnose our worldliness once in a while. For me, and probably to most of us, Disney's animations and movies are where our childhood memories are kept. I used to dance and sing after the sing-a-longs of the films. I especially enjoyed Mary Poppins and I still remember most of the songs to this day.


Every year during Christmas and New Years season, Mary Poppins returns to Vancouver. I've always wanted to go but was never able to due to other engagements or another reason that pops up... :-( Plus, I guess I never really spent Christmas in Vancouver all that much. For that reason, I was super determined to go see the musical where Natalie and her Ryan were also able to join us. Yey! 

We bought a $79.99 voucher from CostCo which included two $50 credits to purchase tickets. Then we simply called their Ticket Office helpline to reserve seats, which usually requires extra payments depending on the seats of your choice.


My seat was right in the middle of row 4 which usually is considered the best seat for live musical shows. However, since the theatre isn't too big and also the set consisted of a two storey home, I actually think the seats in the second floor might have been great too. 

Very very close to the stage! This is the only picture I took at the theatre since taking photos during the show is (of course) strictly prohibited. 


So my thoughts after watching the show...

The musical version of Mary Poppins is a little bit different from the Disney's. I think the characters' personality was also quite different as well, yet, both versions try to tell us what we should truley value in life. We sometiems forget what we live for while striving hard to achieve a "successful life" which a lot of the times get distracted by materialistic matters. As expecting parents, while watching Mary Poppins, Ryan and I could remind ourselves about what we should really give our future children. 

I experienced a lot of mixed feelings watching Mary Poppins as an adult. It felt so different from when I was a child because I could now understand the point of view of Mr. Banks who I always thought was a stubborn father. Ahhh it's never going to be enough to explain these feelings in words! I see why Mary Poppins musical comes to Vancouver every Christmas season now - it definately is a story that will bring families together. 



A spoonful of sugar that is all it takes
It changes bread and water into tea and cakes

A spoonful of sugar goes a long, long way
'Ave yourself a 'ealthy 'elpin' ev'ry day

You're a man of 'igh position
Esteemed by your peers
And when your little tykes are cryin'
You 'aven't time to dry their tears
And see them grateful little faces
Smilin' up at you
Because their dad, 'e always knows
Just what to do

You've got to grind, grind, grind
At that grindstone
Though child'ood slips like sand through a sieve
And all too soon they've up grown
And then they've flown
And it's too late for you to give
Just that spoonful of sugar
To 'elp the medicine go down
The medicine go down, the medicine go down.





1 comment:

  1. It was a great show! - which is obviously indicated clearly with both Ryan's who stayed up throughout the show! We're thinking of buying the tix to les miserables! X

    ReplyDelete