Monday 19 January 2015

Vancity Foodie: Coast Review (...where we are not going back?)

As a former Torontonian, I am a Dine Outs craze (= summerlicious or winterlicious for Torontonians by the way), where I get to pamper myself with pretentious small portion food at Fixed Price menus offered by big brand named high end restaurants. My girlfriends and I got together (including Vivian & Alexa) for this opportunity. We set a date for an evening all three of us were available and made a reservation with Coast.

It was last Thursday, January 15th that we all got together. Walked into the restaurant wet and cold, and asked our lovely waiter Alex for a dine-outs menu. Alex looked positively flustered why he has forgotten to bring dine-outs menu and revealed the fact that it does not start until tomorrow! ....which we all knew it starts on 16th! So there we were. :-)


We had 3 main plates with deep-fried oysters on the side and couple desserts to satisfy all of our tastebuds. 

Vivian had White Miso Glazed Sablefish ($38.95) found under signature dish & was beautifully cooked! You can never go wrong with the soft texture of sablefish - however as much as I love the dish, I found it rather salty. It is definitely flavourful and we had no problem finishing the dish as it was the best one of the three.



Alexa had the grilled Lingcod ($27.95) and she was quite content with the dish. Myself had Salmon Two Ways ($33.95) which comes with two different ways of cooked salmon - (1) grilled with fresh creme & caramelized cabbage and (2) wild mushroom crusted with pea puree and truffled potato croquette. I love my seafood and all of them but I found my salmon too creamy. To creamy to the extent that I needed to accompany with soft drink otherwise it was too much cream and oil. I was not able to finish my dish. It was quite pretty though I forgot to take a photo of it.



Coconut Banana Butter Cake ($12) was probably the best item on our table that evening. This softly soaked butter cake was pleasantly sweet and creamy. We could not stop praising this dish.


Coconut & Passion Fruit Panna Cotta was quite pleasing as well ($12). The base was of flavourful soy or almond milk (as our verdict) and it was interesting for it be blended with the distinct passion fruit/mango taste. Vivian & Alexa did not like this dessert a whole lot - think I finished most of it afteral.

It probably isn't fair for us to decide NO from our first visit but obviously there are other alternatives. I thoroughly enjoyed my other visits to other glowbal group restarants including Italian Kitchen and Black + Blue - so likely my expectations were slightly heightened prior to the visit. The hype and pretty interior is definitely worth the visit for a glam evening or on a date night for sure.


For more information:
Coast
http://www.glowbalgroup.com/coast/#home_section
(604) 685-5010
1054 Alberni St, Vancouver, BC

No comments:

Post a Comment