Tuesday 28 October 2014

Paris Je t'aime!


I like travelling but I don't enjoy being an obvious tourist.  I have never gone on group tours but I absolutely refuse to as well.  It's like cramming for an exam - the tour guides are very helpful in explaining the important bits but we only touch on the "important bits."  Maybe I want to explore the other sides too!
My latest trip to Paris (/pa.ˈʁi/) was perfect in that sense because I was hanging out with "the local" - my closest female cousin who lives in Lyon. I spent 8 days in Paris and will recommend a few places/things to do.




1. Wander around*** 
Live and breathe the city you're visiting! I like going to random corner shops and streets to find a gem of the city I'm visiting. Of course do the research and look through the Lonely Planet to get recommendations but make some detours and be adventurous!

These chaps were just amusing for me!

A corner gallery (on the way to St. Chapelle)


2. St. Chapelle 
I was staying near Étienne Marcel and Les Halles but I took a walk over to Louvre to cross Pont Des Arts (photo below). Stroll down this romantic bridge cross La Seine and you can admire all the lovers from all over the world padlocking the sides promising their everlasting love to one another. Then another bridge to find yourself on Île de la Cité (Cité Island). This medieval gothic building was damaged during French Revolution but was restored to its finest. The beautiful stain glass will take your breath away.
This is only the preview of the grand chapel. I literally thought this was it and was amazed to see this bit next to the gift shop. But noo...

Cité Island is right across from St. Michel where there are lots of pubs, bars, and other college students joints as well. Takes 5 minutes walk across the bridge (which you may not even realize it being a bridge!). I went to a nearby post office (across from the building in the last photo) to send my postcards too. 

3. (Obviously) Eiffel Tower 
The landmark of Paris which people once thought was grotesque. Hand-write your A and make it dance - and you've got the Eiffel Tower. On my first time to Paris, I went to walk under the tower and to admire that steel. Second time, I went to the top of Tour Montparnasse in the evening to enjoy panoramic views of Paris.
The Eiffel Tower sparkles from 0-5 minutes of every hour. It looked like the Swarovsky crystals illuminating the whole city.


4. Shopping in Marais 
Neighborhood of Paris full of boutiques and ateliers. I bought a lacy coat from Paul & Joe Sisters, boots and knitted dress from A.P.C., and a top from Sandro. And I came home broke. Hee hee! But seriously, all the shops you will find have the essential simple things made to perfection: the French way.
5. Musée de l'Orangerie & Musée d'Orsay
All my youth/start of adult life, I had been a science geek. It was not until I started travelling in Europe that I realized I actually like art. From impressionism - realism - expressionism - you name it - I was granted an opportunity to find the museums and admire the beautiful artwork. As with all the museums, buying postcards after hours of praising the paintings are one of my favorite moments to take a piece from the museum tour as a memento. 


7. Pompidou 
This art gallery/cultural hub is consisted of over 50,000 modern and contemporary pieces. Quite frankly this skeleton resembling building looked hideous in my ignorant eyes. This inside out building has colorful pipes representing each of their functions. 

8. Le Bon Marché
For many of us women, Paris = Shopping. Bon Marche is one of my favorite department stores and is the least touristy ones. I sound like a tourist phobia at this point. Let's just say I'm not too fond of the crowd.

I wanted to save this bit for the last. But since I don't have much photos of Bon Marche (but who would have had the time to be taking photos in this place?) - Rose Bakery is the hidden gem out of millions of dessert places you'd find recommendations to in Paris. Must have my before/after photos of my affogato of course!


9. Eat Well! 
And yes...what you've all been waiting for. So much delish food in France!! 



In my opinion, what matters the most - wherever in the world you are - is who you're spending the time with. So do the things you love with the people you love!! <3 Happy Traveling Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment