Tuesday 28 October 2014

Foodie Trip: Dim sum time!

Hello all! It's Vivian again.
October 27th was my husband's and my 2nd anniversary. Instead of doing something extravegant for the event, I wanted to spend the day just as same as our other "normal" days. Every second we share together is a special moment after all / wink wink! 

Aaaaanywayssss, to serve of to my recent dimsum craving, we decided to go to Richmond where I call it as Vancouver's China. Vancouver is a city with diverse cultures (I, myself is also from S. Korea). Because of it's diversity, we get to experience close to authentic cuisines from different A city that's perfect for foodies like us!!

Dim sum is usually served between lunch and dinner(approx 11am~3pm) as a small snack, however, I usually come back home very, very full. I suppose dim sum being a snack level only speaks of how elaborate and extravagant their cuisine can be. And you'll know what I mean! 




- List of what we ordered: 

We started off with pork and preserved egg congee. I personally love preserved century eggs (pidan) but it was nominated as the most disgusting food by CNN Reporter (Danny Holwerda on his blog: "the stupidest motherf*cking thing I have ever put in my mouth" - to be precise) because of its looks. Really, it just looks like a boiled egg, but black in color so nothing scary people! I assure you that this congee is delicious. 


Pan-friend Daikon cake was recommended by our server. I had never tried it before so it was a pleasant surprise. If you like Daikon (radish) boiled in oden soup, you will like this dish.

Siu mai (should give five stars!!) is one of the most popular dim sum menu. It is a steamed dumpling with shrimp and pork inside. The texture of it is very chewy. A must try menu!

Steamed BBQ pork rice roll is also a steamed "open" dumpling.  You will find pork and sweet corn inside the rice dumpling paper.

If you only tried sweet & sour pork, it's time for you be bold and try the above menu: sweet and sour shrimp with lychee. The citrusy sauce balances out the greasiness of deep fried shrimp and the chewy texture of shrimp with crunchy fruits & veggies are fantastic together!

At this point - I was feeling quite full and thought this is it, I couldn't take another bite. However, when this lady who makes rounds pushing a cart full of dessert and other items lured me into the BBQ pork bun, I lost it. The buns look almost so cute!

So that's the end of our foodie trip. Oh, wait, did I mention we are having dim sum for dinner too?

I hope you enjoyed my If you do visit Vancouver, don't forget to try Chinese food in Richmond and you will have one happy belly!! 

Restaurant Info: Richmond Sun Sui Wah

No comments:

Post a Comment